LJS Accounting Services

When Would I Need To Be VAT Registered?

an accountant writing about tax

It doesn’t matter if your sole trade (self-employed), partnership or have a limited company – if your business earns over £85,000 in a year then you need to be VAT registered.

You must register if, by the end of any month your VAT taxable turnover for the last 12 months was over and above £85,000, you have to register within 30 days of the end of the month when you went through the threshold.



The VAT flat rate scheme was set up to make calculating VAT liability’s easier. Under the scheme the tax paid is calculated by just multiplying the VAT turnover(usually done quarterly) by an agreed percentage which is dependant on the nature of your business, HM Customs set these percentages and they can be viewed on their website https://www.gov.uk/vat-flat-rate-scheme/ .



In order to be on the VAT flat rate scheme you must apply separately after being VAT registered, the one main restriction is that your turnover in the year must be less than £150,000.

If you need require any assistance with becoming VAT registered, get in touch with your trusted Liverpool accountant.


Have You Got Any Questions?

Need to talk to someone? Get in touch with one of our consultants today and we will be happy to help.
Share post:
Want To Work With Us?

Need to talk to someone? Get in touch with one of our expert accountants today and we will be happy to help you with your matter.